Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Jen Gamore

I remember speaking to Steve, who I hadn't spoken to in a while.  One of those catchup conversations, back in the old century when people would call each other via telephone.

"Hey, and how's your friend Jen Gamore doing?"

"Oh my god, I didn't tell you? I'm so sorry, Kev, I should've told you.  Jen is dead. Mark B and I went to a memorial for her a month ago!"

Whhhhaaaaaattt.

Turns out she died at the age of 39, drug related. Failed kidneys aggravated by drug use.

She was a spunky, spirited girl.  Sometimes a little too spirited -- complainy, ranty, quick to sass people... and had ongoing drug issues.  Ongoing.  Battles with coke, heroi, whtaever.  It broke up her marriage.

Apparently after divorce she met someone in rehab, and all was well for both of them. Until both of them fell of the wagon, hard, together.   Which broke them up.

She lost whatever job she had, turned her back on her large, well-heeled family, and went on benders.  Homeless. And eventually called for help somehow and was hospitalized.  But it was too late.  

She lingered in the hospital for a bit, several weeks, but her body was shutting down.  And that was that.


No comments: