Monday, July 28, 2014

Angel Olsen Is My Momentary Obsession

As all things pass, so will this momentary fixation.
But at the height of it, at this moment, I am so enjoying the delightful sounds of
Angel Olsen.

She is a terrific singer songwriter, probably mid 20s, living in Asheville North Carolina, in the hippie world of musicians and street scoundrels.

She sings in an almost yodel-y manner, which is kind of appropriate for someone with that last name.
The Olsens, weren't they Scandinavian roots?  Or were they Swiss.

Somehow I picture these peoples to have begun the traditional of yodeling for country music.

As a child and through my own 20s, I couldn't bear to hear that yodelly shit.
But now, I believe i've passed through the wall.
Its like Neil Young: you could hate him and hate him, and then over time, you might think yknow? I kinda like that song Sugar Mountain.  Even if he does have a whiny voice!

And so I say to you, if you have a moment, do give a listen.
Or just appreciate that someone out there is a little older, but appreciating the music of a younger generation!

Here's a beautiful set of songs by her... intimately performed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BDPEr2X8P4

No comments: